Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Book Clubs

I'm getting ready to ask my students to think about the books that they're reading for their book clubs from a different perspective. I was thinking that I would just type up the list of all of the switches on pgs 47-48 in the text and asking them to apply one of the switches to their book. I'm wondering if this is a good idea because I haven't directly taught critical literacy to my classes yet. Do you think this is jumping in too quickly? Maybe I should take a day and teach the lesson outlined in the book using "The Giving Tree." Thoughts?

2 comments:

canto011 said...

I think giving them the background and some practice on a shorter text would be a better start. The guided practice would show them how to think this way. I'm concerned with my students resisting challenging the text because it is more work and they may not be ready to think in those terms.

Julie Sonnek said...

I agree with Canto about starting with a shorter text. Or, you could even go back to the novel you read as a class for the character analysis paper and try out some of the various switches using gradual release.