Well. I am finally getting around to posting about my experience with the Patterned Partner Read on p. 42. I made guidesheets for each kid telling them where to pause in the reading and what to do when they paused (discuss, sketch, predict. etc.). I had them read aloud in pairs. It took 2-3 class days since we did it with "Song of the Trees," which is long.
I was very pleased with their results. First of all, practically everyone turned it in (some of the usual suspects did not, of course) ! I think reading with a partner held them more accountable. I also think they were more engaged during reading since they had to pause every so often and do something with the reading. Their answers were good and well thought out for the most part. Their scores on this assignment were higher than some of the other comprehension type exercises I have had them do individually. I would definitely do this again. Next time, I may stick to one type of activity to do as they read. Maybe all "read, pause, discuss" or "read, pause, sketch" or whatever. It was a good assignment, and they loved reading in partners, of course.
Sunday, April 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment